Name: Ines Minguez
Research Centre for the Management of Agricultural and Environmental Risks (CEIGRAM-UPM)
Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Agrónomos
Technical University of Madrid (UPM)
28040 Madrid -- SPAIN
tel: +34-91 452 4900 ext 1928 ; +34 609466388
Full Professor (1991-) Technical University of Madrid (UPM)
Associate Professor (1985- 1991) University of Córdoba, Spain
Lecturer (1981-1985) University of Córdoba, Spain
o Deputy Director of CEIGRAM-UPM (2013-2014 and 2017-present)
o Director of CEIGRAM-UPM (2014-2016)
o Deputy Vice-Rector for Research at UPM (2008-2012)
o Seconded National Expert; European Commission (EC), DG-Research, Brussels (2005-2007)
o Visiting Professor Joint Centre for Crop Innovation, The University of Melbourne, Australia (2004-2005)
o Visiting Scientist, The Grassland Research Institute, Berks, UK (1982-1983)
Doctorate in Agriculture Engineering, UPM., 1981
Agricultural Engineer, UPM, 1978
French and English Language Certifications. French Baccalauréat (Bac C, 1972).
Member of the Governing Board of the EU Joint Programme Initiative Food security, Agriculture and Climate Change (FACCE-JPI) since 2015
International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) Information Systems for Agricultural Risk Management ( ISARM) 2015-2016
Member of the Advisory Group Societal Challenge 2 and LEIT Biotechnology in H2020 DG-Research and Innovation, H20202 (2013-2015)
Expert for the Standing Committee on Agricultural Research (SCAR) European Commission DG-RTD (EU and Member States) Representing Spain (2009-2011)
Member at the Steering Committee for Human Resources and Mobility. (European Commission, DG-RTD) Spain (2008-2010)
Member of the Editorial Board of Australian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, CSIRO publishing, Australia (2005-2009)
Member of Scientific Committee for 10th ESA Congress European Society for Agronomy, 2008
Member of the Panel of Experts for EU Energy Facility, DGDEVCO, and Manager of INCO projects in DG-Research, European Commission, 2005-2007
National Governments and Institutions
Member of the Evaluation Board for Selection of Post-doctoral positions in the Juan de la Cierva Programme (2016)
Member of the Committee for Engineering and Architecture of the Andalusia Regional Agency for Evaluation and Certification for Bachelor, Master of Science and PhD Studies (2008-2015)
Advisor to the Ministry of Science and Innovation for International Programmes and EU Programmes, 2008-2011, Spain
Member of the Editorial Board of the Spanish Journal of Agriculture, INIA, Spain (2000-2004; 2014-present)
18 competitive projects, incl. 5 international; 5 projects with private companies.
Manages ca. 1.6 M € / year as Director of CEIGRAM of grants, plus 150,000 € of operating budget
7 doctoral dissertations, 1 on-going
Various end-of-degree works and Master’s thesis.
Publications and research areas
85 published references, including 37 refereed journals and 10 book chapters.
11 invited Conferences papers to European Soc. for Agronomy, NATO, and International Fed. Operational Res. Soc., among others.
Research areas: rainfed systems and water use efficiency; grain legume crops, crop simulation, climate variability and change: impacts and adaptation, irrigation requirements, projection uncertainties; yield gap analysis.
The research papers have received over 300 citations excluding self-citations. Some of the papers are the following:
- Díaz-Ambrona, C.H. and Mínguez, M.I. 2001. Cereal-legume rotations in a editerranean environment: Biomass and Yield Production. Field Crops Research, 70: 139-151.
- Boote, J., Mínguez, M.I. and Sau, F. 2002. Adapting the CROPGRO-legume model to simulate growth of faba bean. Agronomy Journal, 94, 743-756.
- Guereña, A., Ruiz-Ramos, M., Díaz-Ambrona, C.H., Conde, J.R. and Mínguez, M.I. 2001. Assessment of climate change and agriculture across geographical areas in Spain using a General and a Regional Climate Model. Agronomy Journal, 93: 237-49.
- Mínguez, M.I., Ruiz-Ramos, M., Díaz-Ambrona, C. H., Quemada M. and Sau, F. 2007. First-order impacts on winter and summer crops assessed with various high-resolution climate models in the Iberian Peninsula. Climatic Change 81: 343-355.
- Connor, D.J. and Minguez, M.I. 2006. Looking at Biofuels and Bioenergy. Letter in Science, 23 June 2006 on Biofuels. Vol. 312 p1743; www.sciencemag.org
- Olesen, J. E., Carter T. R., Díaz-Ambrona, C. H., Fronzek, S., Heidmann, T., Hickler, T., Holt, T., Minguez, M. I., Morales, P., Palutikof, J. P., Quemada, M., Ruiz-Ramos, M., Rubæk, G.H., Sau, F., Smith, B. and Sykes, M. T. 2007. Uncertainties in projected impacts of climate change on European agriculture and terrestrial ecosystems based on scenarios from regional climate models. Climatic Change 81:123-143
- Ruiz-Ramos, M. and Mínguez, M.I. 2010. Evaluating uncertainty in climate change impacts on crop productivity in the Iberian Peninsula. Climate Research 44: 69–82.
- Rey D., Garrido A., Mínguez M.I. and Ruiz-Ramos M. 2011. Impact of climate change on maize’s water needs, yields, and profitability under various water prices in Spain. Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research, 9: 1047-1058. doi: 10.5424/sjar/20110904-026-11.
- Ruiz-Ramos M., Sánchez E., Gallardo C. and Mínguez MI. 2011. Impacts of projected maximum temperature extremes for C21 by an ensemble of regional climate models on cereal cropping systems in the Iberian Peninsula. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences Vol 11: 3275–3291. doi:10.5194/nhess-11-3275-2011.
- Garrido A., Rey D., Ruiz-Ramos M. and Mínguez M.I. 2011. Climate change and crop adaptation in Spain: consistency of regional climate models. Climate Research 49: 211-227.
- Connor D.J. and Mínguez M.I. 2012. Evolution not revolution of farming systems will best feed and green the world. Global Food Security 1: 106-113. doi: 10.1016/j.gfs.2012.10.004
- Castañeda-Vera, A., Barrios, L., Garrido, A., Mínguez, M.I. 2014. Assessment of insurance coverage and claims in rainfall related risks in processing tomato in W Spain. European J. of Agronomy, 59: 39–48.
- Castañeda-Vera, A., Leffelaar, P.A., Álvaro-Fuentes, J., Cantero-Martínez, C. and Mínguez, M.I. 2015. Selecting crop models for decision making in wheat insurance. European J. of Agronomy, 68: 98-116.
- Fereres, E., Villalobos, F.J., Orgaz, F., Minguez, M.I., van Halsema, G. and Perry, C.J. 2017. Commentary: On the water footprint as an indicator of water use in food production. Editorial. Irrigation Science, DOI 10.1007/s00271-017-0535-y